Monday, July 30, 2012

A shout out to my friend in heaven

I got the call from Dani telling me she had bone cancer on a warm spring day my sophomore year of high school. At that moment the temperature became irrelevant. In fact, the whole world suddenly disappeared and all I wanted was to turn back time. 


Dani was the kind of friend a teenage girl can only dream of. She brought such joy to my life and so many others' through her selflessness and witness to hope. Our friendship was special because she saw something in me which I didn't see in myself and drew it out with kindness, generosity, and sincere love. Furthermore, she always remained sure of the goodness of our Father, even in the midst of great suffering.


Danielle Hosford 
Today is the 9th anniversary of her death. Her family calls it her "angel birthday" and it's no wonder why. She is in heaven with the angels and is constantly drawing our hearts up to join her.  Her love for Jesus is being satisfied by a union with Him that I can't fathom. 


While I'm so happy for her and grateful for the time we had together, my heart is breaking today and feeling the ache of our separation. I want so much to hear her laugh, her thoughts, and to just listen to the radio while driving down the road with her. 


Ironically, when I opened my computer this morning the lyrics from Sufjan Stevens were playing, "Golden rod and the 4-H stone The things I brought you When I found out you had cancer of the bone."His words pierced my heart because he so accurately describes the ordinary nature of seeing your friend's life pass before your eyes. I'm sad that I can relate so closely with his song about losing a friend to cancer. 


Thank you, Danielle for your love, your kindness, and above all giving me hope that we will be together again on the other side of this vail of tears. 
  

1 comment: